POSSESSION OF A FIREARM WITHOUT A FOID:Illinois is one of 12 states & the District of Columbia that require residents to obtain a Firearm Ownership Identification Card, commonly known as a FOID card, before owning, let alone possessing, a gun.
Punishment:In home: Class A misdemeanor Outside: Class 3 felony: 2-5 years IDOC FELON IN POSSESSION OF A FIREARM:If you have a felony conviction, any felony conviction, you cannot own or possess a firearm in Illinois.
Punishment:Class 2 felony: 3-7 IDOC.Others ways an individual can be charged with Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon exist, such as:
- Possessing a firearm while engaging in or attempting to engage in a misdemeanor violation of a cannabis or controlled substance offense ;
- Possessing a firearm when an order of protection has issued against that person within the last 2 years ;
- Possessing a firearm while engaging or attempting to engage in a misdemeanor involving the use or threat of violence.
- an illegal seizure by the cops/government
- lack of knowledge of the firearm
- lack of accessibility to the firearm